Sunday, February 7, 2010

One Year Older & Possibly One Year Wiser


Today is my birthday, which I celebrated Friday since the super bowl is today. I had a nice dinner at Buca Di Beppo (first time ever in the pope room) with a small group of friends whom I adore and my wonderful family, followed by drinks at the Jackalope. Thank you Jason Burton for the birthday drink tokens and thank you Jasen for serving up those drinks! It was nice to have a low key birthday for once and this is the first one in years that I actually remember (I can't do shots on this current medication). I had a lovely evening!

Last night I was diving to Walgreens around 1:00 AM and a car drove past me with a girl in the passenger seat with her head hanging out the window and puke running down the side of the car. This gruesome sight made me realize that although aging has its downfalls (gravity, mobility, metabolism, etc), it is really nice to know that I am old enough now that I will most likely never be puking out the window of a moving vehicle.

This got me thinking about other things that my old age has taught me compared to who I was 15 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago, hell even 2 years ago. Although I do miss my early 20's it is mostly my figure and health of those years that I miss. Sometimes I think that we should age backwards like Benjamin Button so that we have the most wisdom when our bodies are at their peak performance.

Turning 33 is not a milestone birthday but it has given me pause to reflect back on my life. I am not where I thought I would be when I was 23 looking forward 10 years, but considering what life has dished out to me over the past 2 years I think I'm doing pretty well despite it all. I have had many accomplishments and failures, many trials and tribulations and there are really only a couple of things that I would honestly do differently if I could go back and do them over again.

I have to remind myself not to think about the past too much. I still have a lot of wonderful things going for me and I would hate to look back in 10 years and wish that I had lived more in the moment at this age. My body might be planning a "coup de grace" against me with its multiple autoimmune diseases but it hasn't won just yet!

No comments: